News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Einstein@home first pulsar discovery

Started by Dingo, August 13, 2010, 04:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dataman

Now using alot less CPU for GPU app.

2011-01-20: Einstein@Home - New Einstein@Home Radio Pulsar Search and NVIDIA GPU Code
Einstein@Home is beginning a new round of searching for radio pulsars in short-orbital-period binary systems.

This is accompanied by the release of a new application (called BRP3). The new application is particularly efficient on NVIDIA Graphics Processor Cards (up to a factor of 20 faster than the CPU-only application). In addition, when running on an NVIDIA GPU card, this new application makes very little use of the CPU (typically around 20% CPU use when the GPU is devoted to Einstein@Home).

The NVIDIA GPU application is initially available for Windows and Linux only. We hope to have a Macintosh version available soon. Due to limitations in the NVIDIA drivers, the Linux version still makes heavy use of the CPU. This will be fixed in Spring 2011, when a new version of the NVIDIA Driver is released. Many thanks to NVIDIA technical support for their assistance!

Because we have exhausted the backlog of data from Arecibo Observatory, this new application is being shipped with data from the Parkes Multibeam Pulsar Survey (from the Parkes Radio Telescope in Australia). In the next weeks we expect to also start using this new application on fresh Arecibo data taken with the latest 'Mock Spectrometer' back-end.

Questions, problems or bug reports related to this new application and search should be reported in this news item thread as a 'Comment'.

Bruce Allen
Director, Einstein@Home

veebee

wow .... work being generated from within Australia ... might have to stick the GTX275 and GTS 250 (dust off the cobwebs on that one) back into a cpl of machines and run some....

Dataman

I ran a few dozen of these. All ran in about 1 1/4 hours on a GTX285 and the ones that have validated were 500 credits.

EDIT: I noticed the wu are using ~42% CPU and only 44% of the GPU. Not very efficient but good credits.

Dataman

2011-01-22: Einstein@Home - Einstein@Home downtime Jan 26
The project will be taken offline for important database maintenance late on Tuesday Jan 25 (UTC). Estimated downtime is 24h, we'll try to keep it shorter if possible.

Mike Mitchell

How can I tell if the work units are from Parks?
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Dataman

Actually, I don't know. I didn't find any discussion about it in their form.

stevenm

Not sure if this is the right place, but this is pretty cool. I've just been advised by Bruce Allen that one of the workunits I crunched, along with Rudzik from Poland, has discovered a new pulsar J1726-3156, using the Parkes data.  The data was collected in 1998-2000.  The discovery has now been verified by current observations so appaerntly is now legit.

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/radiopulsar/html/PMPS_discoveries/

There's been 13 new discoveries by Einstein@Home volunteers using the Parkes Data, and I'm not 100% sure but it appears I may the first Australian E@H volunteer to discover one using the  Australian data.  So that makes it even more exciting.

Cheers! 

LawryB

Well done Steven.  Maybe you get the thing named after you??????   Karma for that is more than appropriate.   v:

kashi

Congratulations stevenm. A new pulsar!! +1     :congrats      :congrats

stevenm

Thanks Lawry and kashi.

I don't think it will be named after me.  But J1726-3156 is good.  It rolls off the tongue...sort of.   :rofl:

Apparently it gets noted on the website and in a scientific publication and I get a certificate.  

My kids are pretty impressed and really that's good enough for me.   :wink

Dingo

Great achievement and your name will go down in history.  Your name will always be associated with finding J1726-3156.  +1  :congrats :congrats :worship

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Sean

Nice! You should scan your certificate and make it into a badge for your signature.  ;D

Tin Man

Fantastic news StevenM. Have to hope that Australia gets the SKA  awarded to it then many more will be discovered.  Plus 1.  :congrats :congrats :congrats

tazzduke

:boom:  :dance2:  :dance2:  :boom:

A big congratulations to you stevenm for your major lifetime discovery, and +1 for Karma (I would have done two but wouldnt let me)

Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant