News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Einstein@home first pulsar discovery

Started by Dingo, August 13, 2010, 04:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Mitchell

I thought I posted congratulations.  :blush1: Must've back scrolled the page before submitting. Sorry about that.

Well done StevenM, you've left another mark in history!  :worship :worship :worship Plus one for that effort. It may even be another plus one but it's worth it.  :congrats
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Furlozza

Congratz stevenm and PLUS 1

True, it may not roll off one's tongue, but at least it (the discovery) will also not roll away from you, in perpetuity. v:

veebee

Well done Stevenm !!!

+ 1 for your discovery ...  :congrats :congrats :congrats

EDIT: Steven - which WU's are you crunching ? ?  Might give my machines a solid run at Einstein for a while after this AA... even if it means swapping over to the old nVidia GPU.

stevenm

Thanks all for the congratulatory words and the karma.  Its much appreciated.  I sort of feel a bit lucky really.  Its a bit like winning the lottery.  I know you have to buy the ticket or in this case download the workunit, but its really luck of the draw as to which units contain something interesting.  Anyway I'm certainly not knocking it.  It is very exciting.

I'm running all types of workunits, though I think the Parkes data is in the Gamma Ray Pulsar Search #1, but I'm not 100% on that.  I sometimes use my GPU but I work from home and using the GPU while I'm working I find slows things down too much, so I don't run it all the time.

Thanks again for all the kind words.  I hope others in our team can have the same luck I did.  And all the best for another succesful the AA.

:rocks

Dataman

What a great idea. Badges ... smadges ... I want one of these!

"Discovery Certificates
Volunteers whose computers discover new pulsars receive framed certificates of appreciation. The latest batch is just being sent out! Here is a photo of one certificate and here is a photo of the boxes ready to ship to our vounteers.

Bruce Allen 31 May 2012 13:19:58 UTC · Comment "

http://twitpic.com/9qjp9f/full
http://twitpic.com/9qjphh/full

"Einstein@Home volunteers discover nine new radio pulsars!
In the past weeks, Einstein@Home volunteers have discovered nine new new radio pulsars! Seven were found in data from the Parkes Multi-Beam Pulsar Survey (PMPS) and two in data from Arecibo. Congratulations to:

Robert D Burbeck (Derbyshire, UK)

Harald Buchholz (Springfield, Virginia, USA)

Andrew Fullford (Texas, USA)

Pavlo Ovchinnikov (Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine)

Nemo Cluster (Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA)

ATLAS Cluster (Hannover, Germany)

Victor1st (UK)

Dušan Pirc (Domzale, Slovenia)

Riaan Strydom (South Africa)

Edelgas (Germany)

Craig G (USA)

Brian Adrian (Dade City, Florida, USA)

Frederick J. Pfitzer (Phoenix, Arizona, USA)

Benjamin Rosenthal Library, Queens College, CUNY (New York City, USA)

Masor_DC (Czech Republic)

Gordon E. Hartman (US Navy Team, Dover, Pennsylvania, USA)

Eric Nietering (Dearborn, Michigan, USA)

Tim Taylor (USA)

Christoph Donat (Ingolstadt, Germany)

gone (USA)

Further details about these new discoveries can be found on this web page for PMPS discoveries and this web page for Arecibo discoveries, and will be published in due course. These discoveries bring the Einstein@Home discovery total to 22 new radio pulsars since the beginning of 2012!

Bruce Allen
Director, Einstein@Home 31 May 2012 13:07:44 UTC · Comment
"
:aus1:

Dingo

Yes and they have a new ATI GPU application that I am now running on Linux and on Windows.  You need to download the 7.0.27 version of BOINC for the application to work.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Sean

Quote from: Dingo on June 03, 2012, 02:24:50 PM
Yes and they have a new ATI GPU application that I am now running on Linux and on Windows.  You need to download the 7.0.27 version of BOINC for the application to work.

yep I was looking into that today as well, I don't think it will run on my 4650 but we will see  ;D

tazzduke

Yep I am on the same bandwagon as Dingo, running fine on my HD 5850, averaging around the hour and 10 min per task, I have tried running two tasks and have had no problems, but I lose two cores which at the moment I dont wont to lose as their is an AA in progress.

Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant