News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

What's going on at dNETc ?

Started by veebee, August 31, 2010, 06:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veebee

Anyone else dry of WU and unable to access website  ???

no DNETC, no Milkyway... what can we do with our ATI cards ????

(may have to swap one over to the gtx 275..)

kashi

DNETC attempted a database update a few days ago and had multiple hardware failures. According to latest report expect to be back by the end of the week.
Collatz is currently working fine until MilkyWay comes back.

Dataman

Project shutting down:

News

The project will work to 31/01/2011 - lack of finances to maintain the server.
In the absence of contributions to the maintenance of the server, the project will work to 31.01.2011, until further notice. - OxyOne - 27 Jan 2011 | 17:40:19 UTC ยท Comment

veebee

would that have anything to do with why I cannot get Work to upload there ??

Dingo

Now there will be no Linux ATI 4770 project I can run  :boom:

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

tazzduke

Afternoon All

As per post on BOINCstats and DNETC, the project is saved and shall continue.

Regards

AA 24 - 53 participant

veebee

Quote from: Dingo on January 29, 2011, 01:26:23 PM
Now there will be no Linux ATI 4770 project I can run  :boom:

(even though it seems fixed...) HUH ?

why cant you (we) run GPUgrid or Milkyway (is that purely a Linux problem ??)

Dingo

why cant you (we) run GPUgrid or Milkyway (is that purely a Linux problem ??)

Just a Linux thing.  The only Linux projects for the 4770 is DNETC as the others need opengl and the drivers for Linux for my distro does not have them.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

veebee

another "whats going on" subject for DnetC....

I have noticed that suddenly I am only earning about half of what I was at DNETC.... I have some WU's completing in ridiculous times like 200- 300 secs for the 1400 - 1500 credits, but most are around the 2450 second mark for the same credits.

Between my machines (1 has 2 x 4770's, the other has 2 x 5850's) I was getting over 500K at DnetC a day... now only around the 270K a day mark.... might have to check the other machine if it ha slowed down (just thought of that...).

other than that... anyone know if there's been a reduction in credits or something ?

EDIT: just found out through CCC that this machine (2 x 4770) has one card running at "0% activity"...... but both cards ARE seen by BOINC, and DNETC WU's says "(0.05 cpu's + 2.0 ATI GPU's) (device 0)) " - so looks like only one is working...WHY?  :cry2:

shall have to investigate further...

kashi

It may not be the same thing as you are experiencing but I have noticed a lot more sticking tasks since I changed from 3 to 2 GPU cores. A lot of the tasks now have 13 packets instead of the standard 12. With two cores and an uneven number of packets, one core is idle and goes to sleep while the other core finishes the final packet. Trouble is the idle core often doesn't wake up  when the task is finished and so the next task is done on only one GPU core. So instead of taking 8 minutes it takes up to 20+ minutes and sometimes doesn't even complete the full number of packets but just sits there frozen until the watchdog timer ends it after 20 minutes or so.  I suppose a similar thing would happen with the smaller tasks sent to 4770s, compared to the ATI_5K tasks sent to HD 5xxx cards, the number of packets is the same just half sized packets.

It can slow your CPU projects too because after a task is frozen an extra phantom dnetc_1.31 windows_intel86_ati13exe*32 process may remain running which consumes a full core of CPU processing. If you notice a sticker you need to end this process if present (the one using a full core not the normal one using 0-1% CPU) in Task Manager and then suspend and resume DNETC in BOINC Manager. Sometimes have to do it twice before you see the second GPU core start up in Afterburner. This is for one stuck using only one GPU core near the start,  if at the end of a task then only one packet may remain to be processed, so in that case only one GPU core would start or for "end frozen" tasks they may unfreeze and complete almost immediately. GPU temps will show if only one GPU core is being used by DNETC.

If you are doing something else or asleep just have to cop it sweet, DNETC has always been a bastard on multiple GPUs and they aren't going to fix it. Some have found different Catalyst driver versions to be better than others for stickers. Generally speaking it seems more likely to happen when the screen is turned off even with a dummy plug fitted. Without a dummy plug there is a much higher chance of trouble when the the screen is switched off in my experience. When I was running 3 GPU cores the watchdog timer kicked in after 10 minutes but now with 2 cores it takes just over 20 minutes. Looks like the watchdog timer kicks in around 2450 seconds on your pair of 4770s.

I'd prefer to do MilkyWay even though the credit is less. It's just that I am currently fed up with the way they feed their server. They load it up with N-Body tasks and then go home and it backs up and malfunctions just about every day. I'll probably go back to it in a while when I can once again cop their slackness.  ;D

Dingo

Congratulations!

You've been chosen as the DNETC@HOME user of the day!
        Your profile will be featured on the DNETC@HOME website for the next 24 hours.

Radioactive@home graph

LawryB

Seems DNETC has monumental problems.

See http://boincstats.com/forum/forum_thread.php?id=6315

EDIT: Server has been seized by police to investigate possible piracy (????).   Forum states that it will be back online as soon as they get the server back.  :police:

veebee

and fior some reason I cannot get work for any othe GPU project !!

Dingo

Quote from: veebee on April 07, 2011, 10:40:55 PM
and fior some reason I cannot get work for any othe GPU project !!

I am getting Collatz on my windows PC's, not many left though,  but there is no work anywhere for Linux ATI

Radioactive@home graph