News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Hi Bandwidth usage

Started by Dingo, October 04, 2011, 04:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

I am running on a few multi core machines and have the browser application running multiple times on those PC's. I do however seem to be downloading a lot of work as my MB counter reset on the 01 Oct and to now I have already uploaded 18,707 MB of data. The files that are sent must be fairly substantial compared to BOINC which I am used to.  I went over my allocation of 70 Gig download this month for the first time ever on TPG and I am now shaped down to 1 meg download speed for a while. I will have to make changes to how much work I do for this project.

So be warned that it uses a lot of your quota if you have one especially if you are charges for any extra MB that you use..  :boom:

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

LawryB

Me too.  Hungry bugger isn't it?  Might have to limit running it to my so called "free time"

Dingo

I have found out that each work unit is about 5 mb in size.  I have reduced the number of browser applications I have running so my credit will be reduced but also the my download limit might be saved next month.  When it gets to the last two weeks of the month I will see how much I have to go and increase or decrease as required. 

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Dingo

The project has used over 33 Gig of my 70 Gig Download in seven days.  I now only have one application running on my 4 pc's and have put a limit of 45000 Mb monthly.  This will result in the Team not getting up the Ladder as fast as we have but members are joining and also other Australians are joining.  We now have 10 members and kirdnem-vince, from Cruncher Junkies in BOINC, has taken over the Lead in credits and I hope he can keep it up.

So  :rocks even in non BOINC projects.

Radioactive@home graph

owner

I put on a limit of 20 gig a couple of days ago.  Will see how that pans out a t the end of the month for overall usage. :greet

veebee

just thought I had better check mine.

I have 200 Gb monthly limit with TPG (off net - whatever that means) and now my youngest son has "run away" there wont be a cpl of movies being downloaded every day, so I think I will be OK

As far as I can tell, I have only "used" 32 Gb for Skynet - can anyone tell me, is that usage listed on our dashboards, from the start of each calender month ? or in relation to the join date (then that day of each month).

Dingo

Quote from: veebee on October 08, 2011, 08:53:44 AM
can anyone tell me, is that usage listed on our dashboards, from the start of each calender month ? or in relation to the join date (then that day of each month).

Yes the usage gets reset at the beginning of each calendar month.  I put in a suggestion on their forum to have a time that we want it to run.  I have 70 gig Peak and 70 Gig off peak.  The off peak is only eight hours of the day so most of my usage id during Peak time.  If I could use all of Off Peak and part of Peak I might be able to run all month.  As it is this month I will be stopping next week.

Radioactive@home graph

Dingo

I changed my plan at TPG and for $10 more a month I changed from the ADSL2+ $49.99 130 gig plan to a ADSL2+ $59.99 Unlimited plan.  The new plan will have the same download and upload speed( about 10.5 Mb down / 0.860 Mb up) and same IP address and no limit of any kind and no shaping.  I have opened up more browser applications and I have taken off the limit I placed earlier.  I have dropped 8 places in the ranking since I stopped crunching as much so hope to get some of that back.  Never had an unlimited account before  :cheer1:

Radioactive@home graph

danhtruong

Hi all,

Just have a question about CPU usage of this project.
On this machine I'm using, I'm not boincing, just running theSkyNet because it's a work computer.

I have 3 open java clients (is that the correct word?) to utilise 3 of the 4 hyperthreaded cores of an Intel Core i3, but the CPU usage on each core doesn't seem to go above 25%.
Every mintue or so, it spikes to about 80% for a second and then drops down to the average of about 20%.

Dashboard: Machines Online Now (Last 10 Mins): 3 (1490 MIPS)

Does the CPU usage on your computers hover about the same?
I thought it would be similiar to WCG, where it immediately takes the CPU usage up to 100%

Any help/advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Dingo

Yes the usage is very different from BOINC.  It seems to very erratic and at times all your Browser clients are trying to run at once and at other none or one might run.  theSkyNet is not as as efficient as BOINC that uses all of the CPU you allocate if that is how you configure BOINC.   There is no configuration in theSkyNet other than having the Browser Clints on or off or running the background client.  The background client only uses one core no matter how many are available but still is erratic as the browser apps.   My Network Usage this month so far is 57684.16 MB but I am now on Unlimited Download so it is not a problem any more for me.

Do you have any points and have you joined the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Alliance ?  You are not on the user list of the Alliance yet ??

Radioactive@home graph

danhtruong

Hi Dingo,

Yes, i now have 294 credits earned, and i'm in a humbling last position number 14 in BOINC@Australia theSkyNet.
Unfortunately, the default ladder only shows the top 10 and have to navigate to "Your Ladder" to see the full listing.

Can you see me there now?

Dingo

I see you, good to have you on board... :cheer1:

Radioactive@home graph

danhtruong

Hi Ding o,

I noticed that you run WCG in conjunction with theSkyNet.
Not sure if you run them concurrently on the same computer, but because of what seems like low CPU usage from theSkyNet, have you found it to have much impact on your WCG results/credits?

For the last two days, i've run WCG and 8 instances (8 threads of HT i7) of theSkyNet on the same computer and found WCG to still be spitting out the same amount of credits.
It would almost appear like "free" credits from theSkyNet -apart from it devestating my download limits...

Dingo

In BOINC I reduced the the cores that BOINC uses.  If you go to "Tools" / Computing Preferences / Processor Usage, I reduced the second last option "On Multiprocessor Systems use at most ??? % of processors".  On my 4 core machines I changed it to 75% and on my 8 core PC I changed it to 87.5.  This leaves one core for theSkynet on each PC.  So I have reduced the amount of BOINC work that I do and the spare core is not used 100% all the time by theSkynet but it is available.

Radioactive@home graph

danhtruong

my god, man.  thats genius.

something seriously wrong with the dashboard though.
Machines Online Now (Last 10 Mins): 0 (0 MIPS)

Even though i have credits ticking over, my MIPS has been on 0 all day.

edit: hopefully we'll hit 7th spot tomorrow or the day after  :dance: