News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Ah I think I killed my boinc install

Started by shift, March 15, 2021, 11:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shift

So ... I was trying to get project cc_config files working on ubuntu so that I could tell certain projects to only ever use one core. Found these instructions and tried to follow them, they didn't seem to give me access to the project folders so I tried following some other instructions to set the entire folder to r+w permissions which gave me a bunch of error messages implying I was denied from doing that.

Then I noticed everything in the boinc manager app had disappeared, after restarting the computer I can't even open boinc manager anymore.

Can anyone suggest what to do? Just reinstall boinc and forget about all the tasks that were in my queue? or is there something I can do to fix whatever problem I have caused by being a noob?

jave808

PC1: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @3.4GHz, 128GB DDR4, RTX3070, RTX3060, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit
PC2: Lenovo M700 SFF, Intel i5-6400 @2.7GHz, 16GB DDR3, Intel graphics, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit

Dingo

Uninstall BOINC and boinc-manager from Ubuntu and then install them again.  Your tasks might still be there I think ??

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

shift

Thanks guys. I kind of fixed it without uninstalling it. I didn't know what the permissions were meant to be for the boinc data or client directory (maybe someone can tell me by running namei -m /path/to/boinc-clientdirectory) so I set them to rwx to see if I could get it working. I restarted PC and seem to have it working. I did some other stuff which I doubt was useful and has resulted in me having boinc stuff in a bunch of other places. Is everything meant to be in a single directory or two directories? What are your directories like?

\var\lib\boinc and \var\lib\boinc-client I think are being used
\home\.BOINC has two text files and I think they have always been there
\home has notices, projects and slots directories which I think can be deleted as I copied them over from \var\lib when I was messing around
\home now has a bucket load of .XML .txt .cfg .HTML  and some more hidden files most of which I copied over but there were some already there although I don't know if they are actually needed.

Gee I love breaking stuff

Dingo

Quote from: shift on March 15, 2021, 09:39:20 PM
Thanks guys. I kind of fixed it without uninstalling it. I didn't know what the permissions were meant to be for the boinc data or client directory (maybe someone can tell me by running namei -m /path/to/boinc-clientdirectory) so I set them to rwx to see if I could get it working.

In ubuntu the boinc files live in /usr/bin  and these are the permissions, using root to install.

drwxr-xr-x /
drwxr-xr-x usr
drwxr-xr-x bin

These are some of the file permissions:

root@dingo1:/usr/bin# ls -l boi*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1030520 Apr 19  2020 boinc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   39152 Apr 19  2020 boinccmd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3279224 Apr 19  2020 boincmgr

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

shift

Ok, now I have definitely killed my boinc install. The whole SSD died this morning. OS is gooonnnnneeee.

chooka03

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Good excuse to upgrade to a NVME drive though if your mobo takes one?

I was amazed at how much quicker even a cheap NVME drive is to my std SSD.