News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Hello, new member here

Started by Dark Angel, January 02, 2023, 04:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Angel

Hi, I'm Dark Angel (Mick)

Where I've been it's customary to introduce oneself, so here goes.

I've been around distributed computing since '99 across a fair variety of projects, most of them BOINC related.

Looking forward to getting to know people.

Cheers.

tazzduke

Welcome aboard and happy crunching to you.  :thumbsup:

Oops forgot to say, been around here for awhile, started out with Seti, then moved WCG, and tried every other project I could think at the time.

Lots of projects have gone by the wayside, but still a few good ones around.

go through phases now, either badge hunting or if possible milestones, depending on your power bill budget lol.

Hang around get to meet the team and have a good time.

Cheers
Mark

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dark Angel

Hi Mark, I'm much the same.  Stared out with Seti in '99, moved to UD until that imploded, then WCG.  I've done various projects over the years, usually following the science that interests me at the time

chooka03

Hi Dark Angel,

I think I started out with either SETI, Milkyway or Einstein @ Home. I think it was Einstien because my uncle in law discovered a neutron star and received one of those certificates. That's what got me started on BOINC.

I like space & science projects although I do like Primegrid too.
As Tazzduke mentioned, electricity prices are really starting to hurt though as I have a young family/mortgage etc. I've been downsizing my crunching farm.

My new year hasn't started well as we had to put our cat (Molly) to sleep on new years day :( She was 15 and we are all pretty heartbroken tbh. Hard to enjoy this week off on holiday with such sad news.

Back to work on the 9th. I work for Arnotts Biscuits here in Brisbane as an electrical T/A. :)

Dark Angel

Quote from: chooka03 on January 03, 2023, 10:03:16 AMHi Dark Angel,

I think I started out with either SETI, Milkyway or Einstein @ Home. I think it was Einstien because my uncle in law discovered a neutron star and received one of those certificates. That's what got me started on BOINC.

I like space & science projects although I do like Primegrid too.
As Tazzduke mentioned, electricity prices are really starting to hurt though as I have a young family/mortgage etc. I've been downsizing my crunching farm.

My new year hasn't started well as we had to put our cat (Molly) to sleep on new years day :( She was 15 and we are all pretty heartbroken tbh. Hard to enjoy this week off on holiday with such sad news.

Back to work on the 9th. I work for Arnotts Biscuits here in Brisbane as an electrical T/A. :)

It's been about a year since I had to have my cat Neo put down due to severe urinary issues caused by trauma from a cat up the road that kept coming down and trying to fight him.  In the end the stress got to him, he blocked up (it's a make cat thing apparently) and his whole urinary tract became inflamed and blocked shut.  He was only two years old and the most amazing cat I'd ever had.  I was more than heart broken.  My wife went looking and found a closely bonded pair of female cats at the rescue in Cootamundra, so closely bonded they couldn't be separated and people were balking at the black one.  I love black cats so we got them both.

I know what you mean about power prices, I recently backed right down to just my desktop shutting down two headless Ryzen 7s and a little i5 I used as a network proxy.

jave808

Hi Dark Angel. Welcome aboard!

I also started off with SETI, then jumped around to mainly do WCG and Rosetta. I like the medical projects most.

Sorry to hear about your cat. And to chooka03 - sorry to hear about your cat also.

I don't have any pets. Which is a shame as I really do love them. Cat/dog I'm easy!
PC1: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @3.4GHz, 128GB DDR4, RTX3070, RTX3060, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit
PC2: Lenovo M700 SFF, Intel i5-6400 @2.7GHz, 16GB DDR3, Intel graphics, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit

Dark Angel

It really sucked.
My previous cat was put down due to kidney disease during the '19-20 fires.  My cat in November, then me deployed repeatedly, then my wife's dog which I had to deal with as she'd also been deployed for work, then more deployments, then covid hit.  Insert family drama as well for the next two years.  Then Neo ... it's been a rough ride.  I'm sure I'm far from the only one, lots of people have done it tough the last few years.