News:

Main Menu

Have you caught Covid?

Started by jave808, January 07, 2023, 11:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jave808

Hi all

Just wondering how many here have caught Covid?  I have not (crosses fingers). Although I do have a number of friends that have been infected. An Aunty of mine (not really an Aunty but in the family tree) in North Macedonia died from Covid about 2 years ago. She was 70 years old.

I also have plenty of cousins in North Macedonia that have been infected. Especially a cousin of mine in Skopje. She's been infected 3 times! And she hasn't had any of the vaccines. Interestingly, she commented last night that people with the Sputnik and Pfizer vaccines were doing quite well, whilst those with Astra Zenica vaccinations were more likely to get infected. This is just my cousins' observation. You'd need to look at the numbers in hospital etc to get the true infection rates.

The Covid vaccines have also raised doubt and paranoia in some people. I personally have had 4 shots of Pfizer, but I'm crediting my luck in not getting sick due to not mixing in social situations so much. I only really visit my dad, go to the shops for food, medical appointments and that's it. Like I wouldn't want to go to a cricket match etc or a busy club/nightclub.

Smartly, when Scott Morrison was PM and the vaccines were being introduced, he made getting them voluntary. It was up to the individual whether they wanted to get the vaccine or not. However, as the lockdowns ceased and things started to open up, some businesses were refusing to let unvaccinated workers back into the workplace. This I believe was the wrong decision to make. Which is why we saw so many protests in Melbourne and Sydney and other cities. My 5 cents only. Your opinion may differ.

Feel free to add your experience of Covid.
PC1: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @3.4GHz, 128GB DDR4, RTX3070, RTX3060, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit
PC2: Lenovo M700 SFF, Intel i5-6400 @2.7GHz, 16GB DDR3, Intel graphics, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit

Dingo

I live alone and don't get out much.  I have not had Covid but have had all the injections that are available for me.  Not mixing with anyone for extended periods is an advantage I guess, although not necessarily a good thing.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dark Angel

My wife and I are both fully vaccinated and don't get out much but it still got us just before Christmas.
My granddaughter got it from her Daycare centre and I'd spent the whole day before her birthday (when she finally got sick) at their place, though it took over a week for us to get sick enough to test positive.  Alternately my wife could have picked it up from her work as her co-worker who sits close to her tested positive the week after my granddaughter's party (which was cancelled so we came home instead).  Wherever it came from, it got us eventually.
My son and his family live in Gosford and had it for the third time just before Christmas.  The joys of living in an area full of science denialists, conspiracy nutters, and anti-vaxxers.

Abruraspingi

We had the head sheds from over East make a visit after about three years (due to lock downs). They brought information about how the company was going, presented awards and gave COVID to a few people in the office (including me). I then passed it onto my girlfriend and her family. We were all vaccinated.

chooka03

I've had it Jave. Personally... for me it was a massive non event! I'd had worse colds. 2-3 days of achy eyes and that's about it. No cough, runny nose or anything.
To be honest, I was pretty annoyed? angry? disappointed? that the media had been shoving this story that "COVID is coming for you and could kill you" down our throats and it turned out to be nothing (for me anyway)

My son who's 9 also got it. He had a high temp for 1-2 days and slept alot but was then fine.
Strangely enough, we made no changes at home when I and then months later my son caught COVID and yet my wife hasn't had it (to the best of her knowledge)

My in laws had family friends hospitalised, but they are in their late 60's with underlying health issues. Fully recovered now though. 

Mysteron347

Not had it yet, but I'm in the same boat as some others. No social or work life. Only go out shopping one day a week and of the two trips I make, the main one is very early in the morning (1am) - and I've been doing that for years.

There was a lot of criticism about how the pollies handled matters, but in reality no-one had actually experienced such an event since the previous "Spanish Flu" was 100 years in the past.

A lot can change in 100 years, believe it or not. Apart from medical advances, transport and people's mobility was vastly different this time around for instance.

Mark McGowan's isolation solution was probably the most successful of all, despite criticism. Interestingly, it was employing the tactics used to combat the plague 700 years ago.

Scomo's demand for an investigation of the origins of the pandemic was misguided - and probably led to China's tariff penalties.

What Scomo should have emphasised is that we got away with it this time. It's not the first time it's happened, and it won't be the last. Next time we may not be so lucky.

We've had a number of "false starts" - Zika, Ebola, Swine Flu, Avian Flu...

We should, as a species, be forewarned. We need to be able to marshal the entire world's resources to combat the inevitable future recurrence. ALL of the scientists, sharing data and avoiding duplication of research. ALL manufacturing being able to work 24/7. That means, once the emergency is declared there will be no disputes and legal actions to delay the manufacture of any remedy the scientists can devise.

This must be supported by logistics arrangements to transport raw materials to where they are needed, and finished product to where they are needed.

Yes - a pipe-dream in all probability, but I'm sure that at least some co-operative arrangements could be forged, which is better than none.

As for the current situation locally, My position is "What now?". I've had 2 boosters. Should I get a third some time? Which one? When?

Silence from the pollies, "responsible" government departments, quacks - even the pharmaceutical manufacturers.

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: Mysteron347 on January 07, 2023, 08:06:44 PMScomo's demand for an investigation of the origins of the pandemic was misguided - and probably led to China's tariff penalties.

What Scomo should have emphasised is that we got away with it this time. It's not the first time it's happened, and it won't be the last. Next time we may not be so lucky.

Mysteron347, I can't describe how disappointed and fearful I am of your comment; "Scomo's demand for an investigation of the origins of the pandemic was misguided - and probably led to China's tariff penalties."

Sun Lijun was a very high-level member of the CCP, now serving life in prison for the information he wrote for his wife ended up in the hands of an Australian intelligence organisation and prime minister Scott Morrison. His family live in Australia, which is common among senior CCP members. Even Xi Jinping has property and family in Sydney.

Sun Linjun was transferred to Wuhan, the source location of COVID-19. His job was to put an absolute stop to all comment, disclosure and descent in relation to COVID-19 some months before the CCP released any details in relation to COVID-19.Sun Linjun was extremely worried by what he had been told and learned on location.

In a letter to his wife, in Australia, he detailed all the facts he knew and the major concerns he had about the problems facing the world.

This letter was intercepted by an Australian intelligence organisation and was in Scomo's hands before he made his demands regarding the source of COVID-19 and he did not direct his comments at China. The CCP's guilt, however, got the better of them and they responded poorly, tacitly admitting that it was them that had been at fault.

Jenifer Zeng, a former CCTV investigative journalist, is very highly regarded as a highly reliable source of CCP information. She has far, far better contacts in China than I do. Some of her sources risk their lives to get information out of China, I would never risk the lives of those I know in China and would prefer to look wrong and/or stupid instead.

Seriously, in relation to the CCP, we should never let our political beliefs and biases get in the way. The risk is far too great.

Please watch the videos in the links, although a bit long, they are extremely informative, highly referenced and cross-checked. Jennifer does very in-depth research before posting and explains what Scomo did and why. It is beyond my understanding how she can get referenced details from within China on issues I can only get rumours about.

AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Mike Mitchell

Back on topic proper, I've had two injections of Astra Zenica and had no side effects and no COVID. I've been tested many times at the hospital and at my GP.

The stupid thing is, I've had the flu three times during the pandemic! 🤷�♂️ Had anti-flu shots too. Go figure, I'm just weird.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

jave808

Mike, I'm in two minds over China. I have nothing against the Chinese people - they're just trying to live like you and I.

But as for the CCP, well, they're too authoritarian for me. I consider them very sneaky and manipulative, and will do whatever it takes to get their own way.

It's interesting to note now that recently, the Chinese government has allowed some private firms to begin importing Australian coal again. Was this all due to Penny Wong's recent visits or the fact that Australia has a Labor government?  There could of course be other factors at play - demand for Australia's coal to meet a shortage in China for example.

That's just my 5 cents worth. I'm just a simple citizen gaining whatever info I can from different sources of media.
PC1: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @3.4GHz, 128GB DDR4, RTX3070, RTX3060, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit
PC2: Lenovo M700 SFF, Intel i5-6400 @2.7GHz, 16GB DDR3, Intel graphics, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit

Mike Mitchell

I agree with you wholeheartedly regards the CCP versus the Chinese people.

The thing that shocks me most about the CCP is the appalling way it uses the Chinese people and how western mainstream media seems to ignore the problem. Even when it's easy to prove. In the floods a little while ago, they may have abandoned some 600,000 people and let them drown in underground railways and road tunnels. There is video supporting that. They welded doors shut on numerous buildings and left occupants to their own devices, killing many, including non-nationals. Human organs can be ordered on request! Including one hospital that translated three infant hearts in one day. Police found and recorded one child's body in a nearby river with a number of organs missing while it was still listed as a missing persons case.

If they are Uyghurs or Falun Gong practitioners, there's even less hope. I do not understand how any nation can try to appease the CCP under these circumstances. History will be unkind to those that do, just as we are unkind toward those who ignored the Holocaust.

Mysteron347

I've no doubt that the CCP is about as trustworthy as the Russian government. They used Scomo's speech as an excuse to impose the tariffs - he made it easy for them. Had Scomo emphasised the future path for dealing with such scourges - even stating explicitly that China must be involved in the R&D, they would have had a harder time excusing themselves. The tariff imposition was a clumsy attempt to bring Australia to heel.

Sure - we need to avoid supporting the CCP. The very obvious example exposed to the world was Tiananmen Square, but the world forgets and the new generations did not experience that event. Commercial interests and the almighty dollar forgive all sins.

I've always supported Australian-owned/made. In theory, it buys jobs here. Unfortunately, all that 99% or people appear to see is "cheap" - they only start noticing when it's their job that gets exported. The covid/Ukraine crises should have brought home that we need to be able to stand on our own - to be able to make everything we need ourselves.

I go to great lengths to avoid CCP enterprises, such as Mundella Yoghurt (Acquired by Chinese state-owned enterprise Bright Foods through its Australian subsidiary Manassen Foods in 2014), but avoiding Chinese-made is becoming impossible.

shift

My kids got it from school. My wife got it from her work. I am yet to get it. We have had all the pfizer we can get, so it wasn't too bad for the wife although it took a month or more to get her breathing/fitness back to where it was. The flu was worse in the short term but was over and done with quickly.

jave808

Quote from: shift on January 12, 2023, 10:40:28 AMMy kids got it from school. My wife got it from her work. I am yet to get it. We have had all the pfizer we can get, so it wasn't too bad for the wife although it took a month or more to get her breathing/fitness back to where it was. The flu was worse in the short term but was over and done with quickly.

Wow Mike!  Do you think your wife is suffering from Long Covid? I've read it affects women more than men.

shift

(not Mike) but I hope she isn't, but she has been pretty tired, maybe we'll investigate in a few more weeks. She has been having a lot more naps since covid.