News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Cruncher Pete, May 06, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dataman

For those of you who are awake now, they are putting out GPU BETA's at WCG. This should be a longer test. Also they have the first list of cards that work and those that do not.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,32825_lastpage,yes#lastpost

:aus1:

kashi

Can't get many tasks again, worse work availability than POEM GPU had. Only received 2 tasks since they announced work going out almost 3 hours ago. :hbang: Hopefully it may improve one day.

Those Tahiti cards are pretty brisk at WCG. My HD 5870 @ 925MHz took 188 seconds for a task, my wingman with a Tahiti @ 1125MHz took 66 seconds. The majority of that was CPU, the GPU only ran for 14 seconds!

tazzduke

Talk about a fluke of timing, just did an update and got myself a HCC GPU BETA

Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant

LawryB

Yep I downloaded 1 as well.    271 seconds of GPU processing (Afterburner's trace bouncing up and down from 54 to 73 percent). last 58 seconds was pure CPU.
Using 6600 quad with an ATI 5850.

tazzduke

Unfortunately mine was marked invalid, so I am still thinking about what may have gone wrong, I am using

Win 7 x64
Was on Catalyst 12.1 now am on 12.2
HD 5850 1GB

Boinc 7.0.20 x64 version.

It may be due to Boinc Version, or I didnt have a CPU free, who knows till the next one pops into my queue.

By the way I am doing ALBERT GPU tasks and they are validating no worries.

All my CPU tasks on above validate as well

Oh well, will keep on trying when I get them though

Regards
Tazzduke

P.S I got my Bronze Snail, but being a Snail, it will take awhile to show up on signature  :rofl:

AA 24 - 53 participant

kashi

Congratulations on your Bronze Snail tazzdule. +1      :congrats     :congrats

I wouldn't be concerned about invalids yet, there are many more invalids than valids so far. I've completed 12 tasks, 5 have been valid, 5 invalid and 2 Too Late even though they were completed and reported within 5 minutes of being received. Either the application itself is still a bit wonky, does not have the necessary precision and produces invalids or the validator is using strange settings that mean only a few replications match sufficiently. Some of my tasks that were marked invalid had another 5 wingmen that were also marked invalid and only 2 wingmen matched and were marked valid. Lots of tuning still necessary. Once again it's likely that the application was developed on slower class GPUs and doesn't scale properly with fast current cards. A HD 7970 running for only 14 seconds in a 66 second task clearly demonstrates the limitations of developing for the lowest common denominator. Still it's early days yet and it's only a beta, so there's hope for some improvement. There needs to be some, the percentage of invalid tasks is far too high to release the current application/validator settings to production status.

tazzduke

Greetings Kashi, thanks for the info, got that impression as well from reading the WCG forums.  Always glad to help out with the beta stuff.

Thanks on the karma as well

Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant

Mike Mitchell

Congratulations on the Bronze Snail Tazzdule. :congrats  :congrats  :congrats Plus one.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Dataman

Yes, I would not worry about invalids as WCG usually makes good on them. I only got four and one errored. I ran one on a GTX460 SE and it immediatly errored as an unknown device. Then the same card got another one and it ran successfully. They have a lot of work to do before before GPU is ready for "prime time". Mo' beta's ... mo' better!  biggrin

:aus1:

Dingo

All I get on my PC's, Windows and Linux, is the following:

17/03/2012 9:37:58 PM | World Community Grid | Requesting new tasks for GPU
17/03/2012 9:38:01 PM | World Community Grid | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
17/03/2012 9:38:01 PM | World Community Grid | Message from server: No tasks sent
17/03/2012 9:38:01 PM | World Community Grid | Message from server: No tasks are available for Say No to Schistosoma
17/03/2012 9:38:01 PM | World Community Grid | Message from server: No tasks are available for The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2
17/03/2012 9:38:01 PM | World Community Grid | Message from server: No tasks are available for Help Conquer Cancer
17/03/2012 9:38:01 PM | World Community Grid | Message from server: No tasks are available for Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2
17/03/2012 9:38:01 PM | World Community Grid | Message from server: No tasks are available for Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2 (Type A)

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Sean

I just checked, I get a similar thing...

17/03/2012 11:09:48 PM | World Community Grid | No tasks sent
17/03/2012 11:09:48 PM | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Say No to Schistosoma
17/03/2012 11:09:48 PM | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2
17/03/2012 11:09:48 PM | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2 (Type A)

kashi

That's what it says when there is no GPU work currently available. Those must be the CPU projects you have selected. I currently only have HCC selected and here's what mine looks like:

Requesting new tasks for ATI
Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
No tasks sent
No tasks are available for Help Conquer Cancer

tazzduke

Greetings all

Last night I managed to snag a few GPU Beta tasks, (not many), but during today its been pretty dry and I keep getting this all the time, especially with the last line.  Oh well patience is a virture.

I also think it might be due to that its the weekend now, so maybe things might improve from Monday onwards.  Fingers crossed.

17-03-12 20:21:59 | World Community Grid | Requesting new tasks for ATI
17-03-12 20:22:03 | World Community Grid | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
17-03-12 20:22:03 | World Community Grid | No tasks sent
17-03-12 20:22:03 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2
17-03-12 20:22:03 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2 (Type A)
17-03-12 20:22:03 | World Community Grid | Tasks are committed to other platforms

Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dingo

I feel better now that there is no work and not just no work for me :)  :crazy

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dataman

I don't think there were ANY wu's for Nvidia in the last group. They really mucked up this test. However there will be lots more as HCC GPU is not even close to being ready for prime time.

:aus1: :US