News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project News - AQUA@home

Started by Cruncher Pete, February 11, 2009, 09:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruncher Pete

From Aqua News Archive:

11 Feb 09:

The AQUA@home site and application will be undergoing maintenance work for the next week or so. There will be no new work units submitted during this time. Please wait for our announcements in the near future and keep crunching for other BOINC projects during this time!  

Mike Mitchell

Thanks for all the forum help CP and not just this post - I like "Thought For The Day"  biggrin
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

veebee

AQUA at home has released new app (v2.0) and fresh wu's.... most importantly, it now has checkpointing !!

WikiWill

AQUA@Home is not issuing WUs at the moment (apart from a few randomly) because they are testing the results of the new application.

As veebee mentioned, the v2 app now has checkpointing.  They also take longer to run (combining multiple WUs into one) and are now run natively on 64 bit Windows, Linux and both 32 & 64 bit Macs.

More details may be available in their message board at http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_forum.php?id=3.

Cruncher Pete

From Aqua@Home News Archive

26 May 09:

The AQUA@home project needs enormous computing resources, so we have been working on using NVidia GPUs to reduce the running time of
our application. We are happy to announce that version 3.00 of AQUA's application, supporting NVidia CUDA cards under Microsoft Windows,
is now available for testing. Linux and Mac versions will follow in the next few weeks. We hope to gradually increase the performance
of this version.

yoda

Sounds promising.  Especially the Linux version to follow (I have no Windows boxes with CUDA capable graphics cards)

Wang Solutions

Does anyone know how big the WUs are for this (ie download and upload size)?

Cruncher Pete

From Aqua@Home News Archive:

2 Jun 09:

Linux users with NVidia CUDA cards can now use their GPUs to run AQUA's application

veebee

even the cuda WU's go for days....    :thumbdown:

Cruncher Pete

From Aqua News Archive:

4 May 09:

Up to now AQUA used to employ a single core to process its data. Starting with version 2.18,
AQUA's appication uses multi-threading to use multiple cores and speed up its computation.
32-bit and 64-bit Windows, Linux, and Mac platforms are supported. AQUA's application
uses OpenMP to create and manage its threads. So now AQUA uses either CUDA or OpenMP (but not
both at the same time) to decrease its execution time.

Mike Mitchell

Hmm, I've been waiting for one of the projects to do that. I wonder how soon and how many will follow?
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

veebee

Quote from: Cruncher Pete on June 05, 2009, 07:38:48 AM
..... So now AQUA uses either CUDA or OpenMP (but not
both at the same time) to decrease its execution time.

so, does this mean the run time has decreased (a lot hopefully) since a week or so ago ? coz I have had both cuda and cpu ones running... I have left one CPU WU running on my windows Quad, coz I don't use it for anything... but after a few days and only a few percent on linux and CUDA.. I scrapped any WU's I had running.

have since had a look at the credits fof Aqua... I am wondering if it might be worthwhile tying the machines up for a while.... average pay rate is about 80 cr/hr/core  (not as good as some of the prime credits lately...  :coolgleam:)

BF

From the AQUA news feed:

05-June-2009

AQUA's multi-threaded applications and BOINC

Like using CUDA cards, multi-threading is a way for us to shorten the run time of our work units. Multi-threaded applications are new to BOINC, so you will see behaviour such as one application using all the cores in the computer. Please allow such work units to continue running. BOINC makes sure that all projects you are subscribed to will receive a fair share of your computing resources. We need your help in getting this research done. Thank you for your support!

BF

From the AQUA news feed:

Optimized AQUA applications are ready

Tuesday, 7 July 2009 10:00 AM

In order to better utilize CPU and GPU cycles, we've optimized our code considerably. Though all platforms and OS versions are affected, the 64-bit Windows application has specially gained in performance. Hopefully this will reduce the running times needed to process heavy work units.

BF

From the AQUA news feed:

Screensaver for Windows is released

Tuesday, 7 July 2009 10:00 AM

AQUA now has a screensaver for its Windows application! The nice graphics display is complemented by useful information, showing the user the multiple chains involved in Parallel Tempering Monte Carlo, and the amount of progress the application is making.