News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, January 30, 2016, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Team created see and invitation code is in Members only board here http://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?topic=1854.msg40421#msg40421

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

chooka03

Looks like campaign #6 is complete.
That's great. Hopefully now they have the funds to improve the SSD's for BOINCSTATS.

JugNut

That is good news Chooka.  :thumbsup:   I hope it gives Willy a bit of financial breathing room for a while.   

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

chooka03

I agree.
Whilst I too am not really a huge fan of BU, if it helps with things like that, I'm in.
:thumbsup:

I uncheck all the projects in my BU preferences which I'm not interested in.

JugNut

Hi folks I realize this is a sensitive subject for some in our team but I thought even those against the idea may still be interested in my adventure to the dark side ;)

A few months ago I was on ebay hunting for crunching bargains when I came across a USB ASIC miner going cheap, on a whim I bid on it an won it for $33 dollars(plus a few dollars postage) since then i've been undecided as to what to do with it.  Fast forward to now & with power prices & my finances being what they are & facing the very real possibility of having to drastically down scale my crunching I decided as an experiment to see what could be done with it at Bitcoin Utopia.  These are my results..

http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/results.php?hostid=14049&offset=0&show_names=0&state=4&appid=

Yesterday the $33 device called a Bi Fury finished it's first full day of operation and received 5,850,000 credit so a bit coin credit billionaire I will never be, but still that's many millions more than what my eight remaining GPU's & all my CPU's produced yesterday and all that from a tiny $30 dollar second hand USB stick device that draws under 5 watts of power from a USB port.  It should go without saying that this device is getting near the bottom end of whats available.  It would take 170 of these to get a billion credit a day like some  others are doing but this is more than enough for me to experiment with & maybe get a milestone or two all while supporting one of my favourite boinc projects(milkyway)

In the past other campaigns(sub projects) have been available that I would have been interest in and they include supporting Yoyo, SETI, SRBase, Boinc Stats, Free DC and a campaign for cancer research but right now only 3 campaigns are available that i'm aware of,  of them only Milkyway is of interest to me at this point.  The way I figure it i'm still crunching to support research and boinc projects just same as we all do. 

I wish such devices were available for crunching other projects directly.  You would think they wouldn't have any problem selling enough of them at the bigger projects like SETI, Einstein or World Community Grid. An ASIC is many times more powerful than a GPU but only at one task. The problem is you'd need one for each project and there not cheap to design.

I'm not trying to sell the idea to anyone i'm just trying to explain my own personal experience to those interested.

Crunch-on  :crazy

My personal stat's

chooka03

Hi Jugnuts,

I just happened to glance at BOINCStats and saw you had converted to the dark side of Bitcoin Utopia!  biggrin
Mate..... that little device you found is insane!  :shock  My R9 390 only produces about 1.7Mil credits per day and cost a BUCKET LOAD more than that USB stick you have there!
I too now only crunch BU for Milkyway @ Home because space is my interest.

I see I'm not the only one feeling the pinch in my hip pocket lately.
Thank you for sharing your great find in the Bi Fury. You did well to find one for $33.00. I've seen them for over $100 so not sure how you pulled that one off :)

Have a good weekend :)

Dataman

Quote from: JugNut on May 19, 2016, 11:07:31 AM
Hi folks I realize this is a sensitive subject for some in our team but I thought even those against the idea may still be interested in my adventure to the dark side ;)

A few months ago I was on ebay hunting for crunching bargains when I came across a USB ASIC miner going cheap, on a whim I bid on it an won it for $33 dollars(plus a few dollars postage) since then i've been undecided as to what to do with it.  Fast forward to now & with power prices & my finances being what they are & facing the very real possibility of having to drastically down scale my crunching I decided as an experiment to see what could be done with it at Bitcoin Utopia.  These are my results..

http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/results.php?hostid=14049&offset=0&show_names=0&state=4&appid=

Yesterday the $33 device called a Bi Fury finished it's first full day of operation and received 5,850,000 credit so a bit coin credit billionaire I will never be, but still that's many millions more than what my eight remaining GPU's & all my CPU's produced yesterday and all that from a tiny $30 dollar second hand USB stick device that draws under 5 watts of power from a USB port.  It should go without saying that this device is getting near the bottom end of whats available.  It would take 170 of these to get a billion credit a day like some  others are doing but this is more than enough for me to experiment with & maybe get a milestone or two all while supporting one of my favourite boinc projects(milkyway)

In the past other campaigns(sub projects) have been available that I would have been interest in and they include supporting Yoyo, SETI, SRBase, Boinc Stats, Free DC and a campaign for cancer research but right now only 3 campaigns are available that i'm aware of,  of them only Milkyway is of interest to me at this point.  The way I figure it i'm still crunching to support research and boinc projects just same as we all do. 

I wish such devices were available for crunching other projects directly.  You would think they wouldn't have any problem selling enough of them at the bigger projects like SETI, Einstein or World Community Grid. An ASIC is many times more powerful than a GPU but only at one task. The problem is you'd need one for each project and there not cheap to design.

I'm not trying to sell the idea to anyone i'm just trying to explain my own personal experience to those interested.

Crunch-on  :crazy

Interesting but I have no friggin' idea what an "USB ASCI miner" is.  biggrin Know USB ... know ASCI language ... but ... ??? Can you point me somewhere so I can be crazy too.  :rofl:

JugNut

Quote from: Dataman on May 21, 2016, 10:32:50 AM

Interesting but I have no friggin' idea what an "USB ASCI miner" is.  biggrin Know USB ... know ASCI language ... but ... ??? Can you point me somewhere so I can be crazy too.  :rofl:

*LOL* I could but err something tells me you may have enough of it already  :crazy  Not to worry mate crazy folk out number the normal a billion to one these days, so if you use that logic crazy may just be the new normal?

But if you are interested in anything i'd be happy to part what little info I have.

Crunch-on

My personal stat's

JugNut

Quote from: chooka03 on May 21, 2016, 09:32:52 AM
Hi Jugnuts,

I just happened to glance at BOINCStats and saw you had converted to the dark side of Bitcoin Utopia!  biggrin
Mate..... that little device you found is insane!  :shock  My R9 390 only produces about 1.7Mil credits per day and cost a BUCKET LOAD more than that USB stick you have there!

Thank you for sharing your great find in the Bi Fury. You did well to find one for $33.00. I've seen them for over $100 so not sure how you pulled that one off :)

Yea I just looked on ebay and your right I did get a bargain and it was from an Ozzie seller too.  But if you are looking to buy then don't buy the Bi fury unless it is around the same $30 - $40 dollar mark because for $110 dollars you could get an Antminer U3.  While it may be 3 times the price it has 12 times the output. Just be careful while the U3 is compatible with BU many others are not.  BU has a white list of compatible miners.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.htm?_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&_dmd=2&LH_BIN=1&_trksid=p2376826.m4398.l8093&_nkw=Antminer+U3

Cheers..

PS you'd also need to buy a separate power supply or at least a compatible lead to run it off your PC's power supply. There's a power supply and lead pictured in the above link.

My personal stat's

Sean

Quote from: JugNut on May 19, 2016, 11:07:31 AM
I wish such devices were available for crunching other projects directly.  You would think they wouldn't have any problem selling enough of them at the bigger projects like SETI, Einstein or World Community Grid. An ASIC is many times more powerful than a GPU but only at one task. The problem is you'd need one for each project and there not cheap to design.

I often think about that too. My knowledge in this area is limited, but I think it would be very difficult and expensive to build such an ASIC. As far as I know, they are suited to applications where one algorithm is repeated many times (which I think Bitcoin does). I think most BOINC applications are to long and complex to build an ASIC for, would be nice though.

FPGAs are another option too, very similar to ASIC but are reprogrammable which would be necessary each time a projects app was updated.

I think a lot of the biomedical BOINC applications run off the same underlying programs that are used outside of BOINC too. So if someone did manage to get a BOINC biomed program working on FPGA or ASIC they would most likely become very rich indeed.

It is an interesting idea though and I've been meaning to look into it properly for awhile...    :drool:  biggrin

chooka03

Quote from: JugNut on May 21, 2016, 12:35:44 PM
Quote from: chooka03 on May 21, 2016, 09:32:52 AM
Hi Jugnuts,

Yea I just looked on ebay and your right I did get a bargain and it was from an Ozzie seller too.  But if you are looking to buy then don't buy the Bi fury unless it is around the same $30 - $40 dollar mark because for $110 dollars you could get an Antminer U3.  While it may be 3 times the price it has 12 times the output. Just be careful while the U3 is compatible with BU many others are not.  BU has a white list of compatible miners.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.htm?_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&_dmd=2&LH_BIN=1&_trksid=p2376826.m4398.l8093&_nkw=Antminer+U3

Cheers..

PS you'd also need to buy a separate power supply or at least a compatible lead to run it off your PC's power supply. There's a power supply and lead pictured in the above link.

Oh I have no intention of becoming a Bitcoin farmer for BOINC. But if a $33 item can flog a $500+ video card at a fraction of the energy, then that would be a win.
Well done to get it cheaply AND from an OZ seller. Places I looked at were sold out and they were overseas businesses!

Dataman

OK, now I know what it is. How difficult is it to configure? Is there info at BU? I have not looked there yet as I am not done throwing a hissy fit over WCG's lack of wu's!!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Green-Bitcoin-Miner-11-22/dp/B015VFEM9I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1463840586&sr=8-9&keywords=usb+antminer
Not planning on being a bitcoin miner but it would be fun to play with one.
:greet

JugNut

Hey Dataman, that one is supposed to do twice what mine does,  maybe double that again if overclocked.  The one I got has a processing(hashing) rate of up to 5 GHs(Giga-hashes a second) that one does 11 GHs out of the box.  It's not on the BU white list but I think most stick based ASIC's should work? 

Although if you are interested and thinking about having a crack at it,  it might be safer option to choose something from the white list of confirmed working devices.
http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/forum_thread.php?id=303&postid=2272#2272

If nothing else these are interesting times as there's plenty different things to crunch and try.

All the best JN

My personal stat's

Dataman

Seems they are not accepting new members at BU so will have wait on this one.

chooka03

Now there's a business to be in at the moment........Producing these USB miners!
Scanning the web and it seems the world is sold out. Some good $$$ to be made by the manufacturers at the moment.

Have a good weekend all :)